Niagara Falls Information
Niagara Falls Facts
- The word “Niagara” was derived from the Iroquois Indian word “Onguiaahra” meaning “the strait”
- Niagara Falls is 12, 000 years old
- Niagara Falls are the second largest falls in the world next to Victoria Falls in South Africa. What makes Niagara Falls spectacular is the combination of volume and height.
- 2800 cubic meters of water flows over the edge of the Falls per second during the summer peak, and falls at a speed of 65 km/hr.
- The sound of the Falls has been described as thunder, and is caused by air bubbles breaking as they are slammed up and out of the water.
- The plunge pool beneath the falls is 35m(100 feet) deep.
- It is estimated that Niagara Falls erodes at the rate of 1foot per year.
- The Niagara generating stations supply one quarter of all power used in New York State and Ontario.
- All the water flows from 4 Great Lakes (Lakes Superior, Michigan, Huron, and Erie) north through the Niagara River into Lake Ontario and through the St. Lawrence River to the Atlantic Ocean.
- As one of the seven natural wonders of the world, Niagara Falls attracts more than 12 million visitors a year.
All citizens are now required to present a passport or approved document including an enhanced driver’s license or enhanced Identification Card at all border crossing while travelling through North America.
For more information, please visit http://www.getyouhome.gov/ or http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/whti-ivho/menu-eng.html.
The Foreign Convention and Tour Incentive program offers rebate to certain property and services used in the course of holding a foreign convention in Canada.
For more information on the Visitor Rebate Program or Foreign Convention/Tour, visit http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/gst-tps/rbts/vstrs/menu-eng.html.
You can also phone:
From within Canada, call toll-free at 1 800 668-4748
From outside Canada, call (902) 432-5608 (long distance charges will apply).
While the hotels will accept both Canadian and American currency, the best method of payment when using US dollars is by credit card as the exchange is handled by the credit card company and based on the exchange rate of the day.
Please be aware that exchange rates may vary within the Tourist district when paying by cash with American currency.
The Legal age for gambling and drinking in Ontario is 19 years old.